Re: more compilation failures: -DSCM_DEBUG_TYPING_STRICTNESS=2

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: more compilation failures: -DSCM_DEBUG_TYPING_STRICTNESS=2
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 10:37:25 +0100

Hi Ken,

I agree that we should strive to make Guile portable, especially since
we are to stuff it into Emacs.

>From time to time, I test it on some “exotic” hardware architectures of
the GCC Compile Farm (MIPS, Alpha, PPC64, etc.), and it’s been working
pretty well so far.  I also got accounts on Tru64, AIX, and now Solaris
and HP-UX, which I’m hoping to put to good use by the time we release 2.0.

That said, I’m not too worried about the Cray pointer thing.  IOW, it’s
OK for me to live with potential Cray breakage until someone with access
to such a machine (how many are there around the world?) can come up
with a bug report or a fix.

Now, if ‘SCM_DEBUG_TYPING_STRICTNESS’ can help us prevent breakage,
that’s nice.  I’ve never used it so far, and never felt the need to use
it, but I’d be glad to follow your lead on this matter.  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.