Re: UTF-8 regression in guile 1.9.5

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: UTF-8 regression in guile 1.9.5
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 11:16:51 -0800 (PST)

> From: Linas Vepstas <address@hidden>

> Then, from the guile prompt, I can evaluate the following:
>    (new-node "てみました。")
> and get the output "The name is てみました。"
> However, in guile-1.9.5, the above gives me:
>    "The name is ã¦ã¿ã¾ããã"

Hmm.  The "ã" is a dead giveaway that you are printing a UTF-8 string
that is being interpreted as a ISO-8859-1 string.

You've already said that you're in a UTF-8 locale.  It could be that you
need to call (setlocale LC_ALL "") from the command line before entering
(new-node "てみました。") as well as having a setlocale call in your program.

Mike Gran