Re: UTF-8 regression in guile 1.9.5

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: UTF-8 regression in guile 1.9.5
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 14:38:05 +0100

Hi,

Mike Gran <address@hidden> writes:

> But as far as the greater question of the side effects of setting locale
> early on startup...  The parsing of any source code files after locale
> is set will be done in that context.  I don't think it would do anything
> unexpected. The reader and the port routines tend to do their own parsing,
> and don't tend to rely on libc locale-specific routines.  Even so, it
> would take some auditing to prove that there would be no effect.

Source files should have the right ‘coding:’ meta anyway.  I just
changed the compiler to install the current user locale [0], as that’s
typically what a standalone program does.  It makes it necessary for
source files to have the right ‘coding:’ since otherwise they could get
read with the current user’s locale encoding, which could be anything [1].

[0]
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile.git/commit/?id=e6251e7bd98fbc64e9dbf489c8afaf426af46919
[1]
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile.git/commit/?id=bce5cb56413da437c29628c529cec47649d12eb9

> If you were to set the locale in Guile,

[...]

I currently think we shouldn’t do it since (1) Guile can be embedded and
it’s the application’s responsibility to set the locale, and (2) it
would be a departure from previous versions of Guile and from POSIX
behavior.

Thanks,
Ludo’.