Re: rfc: (add-hook 'before-save-hook 'delete-trailing-whitespace)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: rfc: (add-hook 'before-save-hook 'delete-trailing-whitespace)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 11:53:01 +0100

Hi,

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> The above form lives in my Emacs init flow, causing trailing whitespace to be
> deleted on `save-buffer' (C-x C-s).  For many projects (but not Guile) this
> DTRT, because trailing whitespace is not tolerated.  Jim Meyering gives a
> nice rationale in <http://old.nabble.com/whitespace-cleanup-td6828228.html>.
>
> I propose Guile also not tolerate trailing whitespace.  What do people think?

I agree, but adding such a hook would cause many gratuitous diffs, which
then blur VCS history (using ‘git blame’ becomes almost useless).

Instead, I’d suggest using ‘show-trailing-whitespace’.  Unfortunately,
that can’t be a per-file or per-directory local variable [0] so we can
just kindly ask people to add it to their ‘.emacs’.  :-)

What do you think?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

[0] http://debbugs.gnu.org/db/53/5312.html