Re: dynamic foreign function interface

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: dynamic foreign function interface
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 01:22:09 +0100

Yellow,

On Tue 26 Jan 2010 23:29, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

>> By "dynamic", I mean that you don't have to write C and compile it; you
>> can do everything at runtime from Scheme. You use dynamic-func and
>> dynamic-link to get the raw function pointer, and make-foreign-function
>> to turn that function pointer into a Scheme procedure.
>>
>> The interface is very low-level. Obviously declaring that an arbitrary
>> symbol resolved via `dlsym' is of a certain function type is an unsafe
>> operation that can lead to crashes.
>
> If it’s in a module of its own, then users will (in theory) be able to
> prevent its use by “untrusted” code, which would be fine.

Well, yes. But anyone who has to make a sandbox should be specifying
the set of bindings that are available, not the set that are restricted.
But yes, I think we are in agreement hee.

> One thing that would be neat is to integrate nicely with GNU ld’s symbol
> versioning (it would work around some of the safety lost by not
> compiling actual C code.)  For instance, one would be able to say:
>
>   (dynamic-func "foo" lib "FOO_0.2")
>
> That would use dlvsym() on GNU and ignore the last argument on other
> systems.  (Though ideally ltdl would provide a wrapper for dlvsym).

Indeed this would be neat. I think ltdl is the right place for this to
go.

>> I would merge it now, except for the fact that it depends on libffi.
>> Libffi is very portable, and probably exists for all of Guile's
>> architectures, but it is an extra dependency. Should we require libffi
>> in Guile 1.9.8? Or should we build the necessary pieces conditionally?
>
> Well, it’s always annoying to add a dependency, but OTOH it was bound to
> happen.  So... let’s go?

Wow, ok. Well yes, we did always think this was going to happen... so
all right. I'll see what it takes, and merge when ready.

http://wingolog.org/