Guile and GSL

From: Jason R. Green
Subject: Guile and GSL
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 12:38:21 +0000

Guile and GSL are two great GNU packages for building scientific
computing software. In my own work I need support for GSL data types
(e.g., vectors, matrices) and my own types built from them. I know
this has come up in the past:

(1)
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Starting-and-controlling-the-interpreter.html
(2) http://sources.redhat.com/ml/guile/1998-10/msg00332.html
(3) http://sources.redhat.com/ml/guile/1998-10/msg00431.html

I also read about a similar project
(http://community.schemewiki.org/?GEE-Guile-GSL) being withdrawn from
Gna! but I can't find the thread now. What is the current consensus in
the guile-devel community? Is there interest in this line of
development?

I'm a user of GSL and new to Guile, but I've tried to make some
progress in this direction with the scm_ interface. What I've done
rather closely follows the Guile manual and the available tutorials,
like Michael Gran's book ``How to extend C programs with Guile''.
Though it isn't much, I'd be happy to share what I have so far.

I have gsl_matrix and gsl_vector smobs, their make, mark, free, and
print functions, as well as wrapper functions that zero each. I also
have functions for converting between GSL and SCM vectors.
Unfortunately, as discussed in the threads at (2) above, defining new
smobs may not be the best approach.

I'm willing to learn and contribute to future development, would
appreciate any advice on how to best proceed, and welcome any thoughts
or suggestions.

Thanks,
Jason Green