Re: file names embedded in .go

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: file names embedded in .go
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 09:45:43 +0200

() "Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <address@hidden>
() Tue, 20 Apr 2010 21:15:25 +0200

   It's an Emacs environment for Scheme similar to Slime: a repl and a
   bunch of utilities to edit, navigate and obtain information about the
   code. Among them, jumping to an identifier's definition: for that, i
   need guile to tell me where in the file system the identifier is bound.
   Geiser does not usually collect metadata on the elisp side, relying on
   the running guile to provide it. The richer that dynamic metadata is,
   the more functionality Geiser can provide.

   A bit more information is available at http://gitorious.org/geiser and
   links thereof (specially the README; no real documentation yet, i'm
   afraid).

Thanks for the pointer.  I'll take a look next time on the net.

I think (designing out loud) programs like Geiser will have no problem
if they use Emacs' features that support "virtually located" files.
See ‘file-name-handler-alist’, for the most fundamental mechanism.

Of course the inferior Guile needs to provide a clean syntax that doesn't
conflict with other subsystems.  There are basically two approaches: work on
top of something else (best candidate: TRAMP), or sidestep all others.

Programs that don't build on Emacs are another matter, but who in their
right mind goes outside Emacs?  ;-)

thi