Re: Lightning Bindings

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: Lightning Bindings
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 16:42:12 -0400

They claim that MELT is tightly integrated with GCC, but after reading
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/MiddleEndLispTranslator, I don't believe it. The "MELT
compiler implementation" description suggests that it's a pretty simple-minded
sexp-to-C translator. I also notice that none of the examples has any control
structures more complicated than `if` and `foreach`. I'd say it's basically a
nice syntax for messing with GCC data structures.

When the page says "very tightly integrated into GCC", it seems to mean "has
boxed versions of a few internal GCC data structures" (there's a list on the
page I link. It's not very long). That shouldn't be hard at all to connect
Guile to.

The only part that could be tricky is interfacing with GCC's garbage
collection. I don't know how Guile's FFI interacts with other memory management
systems, so this could be a problem, but I think it could be done. It's going
to have to be solved anyway if Guile is going to interface with other memory
management systems.

Besides, this is one of Guile's objectives, isn't it? GNU programs shouldn't
need to implement their own extension languages, because Guile can handle it.

Noah