Re: despair, debugging, and the repl

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: despair, debugging, and the repl
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 22:32:32 +0200

() Andy Wingo <address@hidden>
() Thu, 10 Jun 2010 16:36:57 +0200

   The old repl, yes. I was wondering how to deprecate it in
   boot-9 but I think I have figured out a way.

Cool.

   >  Surely, not trashing Neil's work entirely is better?

   Trashing is a loaded word :) It is always available in its
   original form in git. But it hasn't worked, is the problem --
   it relies on hooks from ceval and deval that just aren't there
   any more. The part that coincides with the new implementation
   is equivalent in functionality, though Neil's code is nicer, I
   admit.

This suggests to me that the best course is to re-examine both
implementations in terms of high and low layers, substituting the
untenable low bits in Neil's code with the new low bits you wrote,
and keeping the high bits of Neil's code.

   Guile needs to promote one main repl implementation, and one
   main debugger. There is room for others, but if they are to
   remain in Guile itself, they need to be maintained.

Agreed.  I think ultimately whoever does the work (sounds like
it's all you, in this case) decides, so i'll just briefly voice my
support for good documentation of the low bits, perhaps written
before doing anything else, so that if the above old-high/new-low
suggestion is not followed now, perhaps someone can follow it
later.  (Everything is in Git, anyway, as you said.)

thi