Re: expression

From: Michael Lucy
Subject: Re: expression
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 02:52:26 -0500

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 1:55 AM, Ken Raeburn <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 2010, at 17:09, Michael Lucy wrote:
>> Is there any scheme expression that will just get ignored when the
>> scheme code is compiled?
>>
>> I'm generating some code with a function like:
>>
>> (define (gen-update-ab updatea updateb)
>>  `(begin
>>     ,(if updatea `(set! a (+ a 1)) `(donothing))
>>     ,(if updateb `(set! b (+ b 1)) `(donothing))))
>>
>> And ideally I could replace the donothing function with something that
>> will get discarded during compilation.
>
> A simple constant like #f or '() or 42 shouldn't cause any evaluation to
> happen, unless it's the last expression and thus the value to be returned (in
> which case you'd just be returning a simple constant).

Ah, I see.  I tried that with variables, and just assumed that if they
weren't optimized out constants wouldn't be either (in retrospect not
such a great assumption):

scheme@(guile-user)> ,c (begin a b 1)
Disassembly of #<objcode d123d28>:

   0    (assert-nargs-ee/locals 0)
   2    (load-symbol "a")               ;; a
   7    (link-now)
   8    (variable-ref)
   9    (drop)
  10    (load-symbol "b")               ;; b
  15    (link-now)
  16    (variable-ref)
  17    (drop)
  18    (make-int8:1)                   ;; 1
  19    (return)

Out of curiosity, why are variables left in?  Are there situations
where evaluating a variable will have side-effects?

Anyway, thanks!  That makes life a lot simpler.