Re: SRFI-1 in Scheme

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: SRFI-1 in Scheme
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 00:44:17 +0200

Hey,

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed 14 Jul 2010 00:09, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

>> AFAICS the only difference between the two engine is VM_USE_HOOKS.
>> Hooks are only used in (system vm coverage) at this point, so we don’t
>> lose much by disabling them.
>
> Tracing and call-counting profiling too. They will be used when stepping soon.

Right.

To clarify, I’d enable the debug engine for interactive use, but not for
‘-s’, ‘-c’, and when a script is passed as an argument (analogous to
what 1.8 does with the evaluators.)

Tracing and stepping are typically only used interactively, so that’s
OK.  Coverage and profiling can start a new VM that suits their needs,
à la ‘with-code-coverage’.

So my impression is that the behavior above would usually have no
drawbacks for the end user, in that it wouldn’t visibly reduce
functionality.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Ludo’.