emacs, guile, and the manual

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: emacs, guile, and the manual
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 10:15:44 +0200

Hey folks,

Happy birthday Jao, and happy summering Neil, hope things are going
well. I have a bug for you two :)

I have been poking the manual in the section "Using Guile Interactvely",
in scheme-using.texi. I almost have the description of the REPL and the
debugger updated to reflect the current state of things, at which point
I will breathe a sigh of relief and promptly forget about things -- that
is, if we can decide on what to do about "Using Guile in Emacs".

That section has some excellent documentation for GDS. However, I don't
think GDS works with Guile 2.0, but Geiser does. What should we do to
fix the emacs and guile situation?

My perspective, for what it's worth, is that I am a bit irritated that
Jao chose not to start from GDS, but on the other hand I do understand
the tradeoffs.  Throwing away well-documented, well-written code
does pain me, but we do have to move on somehow...

I would be OK with excising GDS and its docs, and having the manual
endorse Geiser, *IF* someone (Jao?) takes a close look at GDS docs and
code, takes notes on what's useful, and replicates those bits of
functionality in Geiser.

In particular I would be happy if I could connect to a TCP port running
on an application from Emacs (not requiring stdin to be the repl). I
suppose that port could just be running a new REPL on a telnet, which
does have the advantage that you can connect to it with plain comint.

The debugging integration could probably wait, as debugging VM programs
is still in flux, I think.

What do you all think?

http://wingolog.org/