Re: PEG Parser Updates/Questions

From: Michael Lucy
Subject: Re: PEG Parser Updates/Questions
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 00:37:46 -0500

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 1:40 AM, Michael Lucy <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 12:13 AM, Michael Lucy <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I've officially eliminated the last define-macro expression.
>>
>> However, I get the feeling that things may not be exactly as desired.
>> The original program made extensive use of functions in building the
>> macros, and I originally tried to replace these with macros.  This
>> turned out to be a little difficult to debug, however (read: I was
>> unable to make the code actually work).  I eventually abandoned this
>> and just made datum->syntax calls.
>
> I've left this alone since then; it would be nice to get some
> confirmation that this was the right choice though.  If it isn't, I
> think I still have time to change it before the GSOC deadline (and
> like I said, I'll hang around after it).

So, we're essentially at the GSOC deadline.  I pushed up the finished
form of what I have to the git repository, plus some benchmarks.  I
also added a variant on packrat parsing using a cache instead of a
hash (the hash performs poorly on flat text files).  This turned out
to be well worth it; on the relatively limited benchmarking suite it
was about a 50x performance boost.

Quick summary of files added (all in origin/mlucy):
Actual module: module/ice-9/peg.scm
Test suite: test-suite/tests/peg.test
Benchmarks: test-suite/tests/peg.bench (wasn't quite sure where to put this)
Documentation: doc/ref/api-peg.texi (also updated guile.texi to include it)

The macros haven't been touched (except I fixed up one define-macro
macro that had slipped past my radar).  I'll be hanging around after
the deadline tidying up a bit more (I'd like some more benchmarks); if
the macro situation isn't what you guys want I'll fix it.