Re: How does one specify linking to 64 bit libraries when there is a cho

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: How does one specify linking to 64 bit libraries when there is a choice?
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 06:09:48 -0800

On 12/19/10 20:40, Noah Lavine wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am not at all an expert on guile-config, but I will help if I can.

Thank you to all who responded.

> Usually if you have 64-bit libs in lib64, you have to pass --libdir
> explicitly.

We've now concluded that that is, indeed, the answer to the
original question.  The fallout question:

  How much understanding of the machinery should be expected
  of the hapless project builder?

Nelson has been doing this stuff for quite a while and has
reasonably good understanding of the process.  From that
understanding, he made the assumption that a standard 64 bit
"Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.5 (Tikanga)"
installation would be compatible with installing Guile via
   ./configure && make && sudo make install
and not wind up with a frumitzed `guile-config link` output.
The assumption was incorrect and we now know that.

Perhaps we can strive to make the assumption correct
in the future?

Thank you!  Regards, Bruce