Re: How does one specify linking to 64 bit libraries when there is a cho

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: How does one specify linking to 64 bit libraries when there is a choice?
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 15:30:54 +0100

On 12/20/2010 03:09 PM, Bruce Korb wrote:
On 12/19/10 20:40, Noah Lavine wrote:
Hello,

I am not at all an expert on guile-config, but I will help if I can.

Thank you to all who responded.

Usually if you have 64-bit libs in lib64, you have to pass --libdir
explicitly.

We've now concluded that that is, indeed, the answer to the
original question.  The fallout question:

   How much understanding of the machinery should be expected
   of the hapless project builder?

Nelson has been doing this stuff for quite a while and has
reasonably good understanding of the process.  From that
understanding, he made the assumption that a standard 64 bit
"Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.5 (Tikanga)"
installation would be compatible with installing Guile via
    ./configure&&  make&&  sudo make install
and not wind up with a frumitzed `guile-config link` output.
The assumption was incorrect and we now know that.
Correct, this assumption is incorrect.

(With my Fedora Packaging Committee member hat on) In Fedora and RHEL, users are supposed to pass
--libdir=/usr/lib64 to configure
on x86_64 and
--libdir=/usr/lib to configure
on i386.

Analogous conventions apply to other multilib'ed architectures.

Ralf