Re: Scheme Implementers

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: Scheme Implementers
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 11:08:37 -0500

Hello all,

Thanks a lot for the points. Let me be more specific and see what you
think of this idea, and if there is a good forum for dealing with it.

I think that having a C parser will be a good feature for Guile,
because it will let us make C FFI connection automatic by parsing C
header files. Other Scheme variants might want a similar feature. I
think it would be pretty neat if we could agree on a parse tree
format, so that people could write Scheme code to analyze C and it
would work in more places. I think it would be even cooler if other
variants thought that the C parser was so good they wanted to use
Guile's (thanks, LGPL!) and then contributed patches to it and code
that used it to do neat things. That way everyone would get more and
better tools.

My question is, what should I do to let other Scheme variants know
this is happening and get them involved? The r7rs lists seem like the
wrong place because this is not ready to become a standard feature of
anything, and the SRFI lists are only for completed SRFIs. I didn't
know about comp.lang.scheme, but now it sounds like it may or may not
still be useful. I could just post on a bunch of development mailing
lists, but it seemed like it would be better to have one list that
handled that (although maybe not).

Noah