Re: RFC: Arbitrary-precision floats for Guile

From: dsmich
Subject: Re: RFC: Arbitrary-precision floats for Guile
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 11:42:48 -0500

---- Hans Aberg <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 1 Feb 2011, at 14:57, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>
> > I want to add arbitrary-precision floats to Guile.
> > I'd use the mpf_t type from GNU MP.
>
> > One complication is that we'd have to implement the transcendental
> > functions.  However, I already have code to do that, as part of a
> > bigfloat library I wrote a while back.
>
> There is already MPFR, which is a package of top of GMP (see the
> manual of the latter).

Sounds cool.  Could this be made optional though?  There is some recent
interest in cross compiling Guile, and I'd like to try and put it on some
embedded device some day.  Something like this probably isn't all that
necessary for an embedded system, and even one less dependency helps.

Thanks,
  -Dale