Re: Indexing Scheme and C identifiers separately

From: David Pirotte
Subject: Re: Indexing Scheme and C identifiers separately
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 13:16:55 -0300

Hello Mark,

Le Sun, 24 Apr 2011 18:43:54 -0400,
Mark Harig <address@hidden> a écrit :

> On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 07:09:07PM -0300, David Pirotte wrote:
[...]

> What would be of some help to get this project started is a
> list of the identifiers:
>
>   1) A list of all Scheme procedure names
>   2) A list of all C procedure names
>   3) A list of all Scheme variable names
>   4) A list of all C variable names
>   5) A list of all Scheme type names
>   6) A list of all C type names

Yes, that's what I meant. What you get, looking at
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/docs-2.0/guile-ref/index.html, is ...

Looking at 'Procedure Index', for example not really knowing what your looking
for
but presumably starting with letter 's', as a 'pure' scheme programmer, reaching
scm-xxx, you'll have to hit more or less 33 times page down [depending on your
display and browser size obviously] to 'continue' with other 'scheme' indice
entries
[they may be other entries, at the beginning they are *scm_]. If you realize you
probably have passed and missed the item you're looking for, you'll have to hit
33
times page-up ... not a big deal but it would be really nice to have 'per
language'
indices.

If [and only if :-)] it can be easily done [which I assumed, but ...], i would
suggest the following [assuming a 'grouping' by language but i don't have a
problem
if it is by 'proc' 'var' and 'type'

        Indices

                . Concept Index
                . Scheme Procedure Index
                . Scheme Variable Index
                . Scheme Type Index
                . C Procedure Index
                . C Variable Index
                . C Type index
                . R5RS Index

> (By "all names", I mean "all names included in the Guile
> Reference Manual", not, for example, "all C function names
> in Standard C".)

Thanks God :-)

> Also useful would be more suggestions for the Concept Index.

I will if and when I have a useful comment to make but so far I think it really
is
good.

Many thanks for your work on the manual.
Cheers,
David