Re: guildhall status

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: guildhall status
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 11:48:19 +0200

Hi!

An update on the guild-hall.

On Fri 15 Jul 2011 13:55, Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

>   git clone git://gitorious.org/~wingo/dorodango/guildhall.git

It is still here, with lots of activity, mostly administrative.  It can
now be installed, has minimal docs (from dorodango), and passes
distcheck.  I trimmed dependencies and otherwise folded things under the
(guild ...) namespace.

Also it is the (guild ...) namespace right now -- I am having trouble
with metaphors.  It seems like the guild-hall package doesn't actually
install the guild hall, more like it gives access to guild halls that
might be on the internet.  Anyway, something to figure out.  I think
that the right answer will come once I move the commands down from under
"guild hall" -- so "guild update" instead of "guild hall update".

> Next up:
>
>   1) Check status of dorodango functionality.
>   2) Fix things that don't work.
>   3) Profit?
>   4) Start thinking about hosting and accounts and UX and stuff.

I still haven't made much progress on the first three, but as regards
the last:

> I will see if I can get work to sponsor a server that we can use, and
> see if we can get it aliased to guildhall.gnu.org -- unless someone else
> would like to provide the server.  It would be nice to have root on that
> server, FWIW.  It could be a VM.

Igalia did kindly offer, but Ludovic made the good point that we should
try the FSF first, and they do seem to be able to host a VM for us, so
we will probably use the FSF.

But beyond hosting the bundles and available.scm, I am still not clear
on what guildhall.gnu.org should offer.  It should probably have a
facility for submitting packages, along with a GPG keyring.  Perhaps it
should run tests on the whole guildhall archive every so often, for
consistency and also for style perhaps.  Perhaps it should host
documentation.  Who knows!

> I would really love for someone to take up this project.  I can help
> getting it to the minimally functional state.  Please let me know if you
> are interested.

I'm still interested, though maybe it will be easier when things
stabilize a bit.  We should probably figure out where to host the
guild-hall stuff as well.  In the meantime patches and such are most
welcome!  Clone the archive above and get to hacking :-)

http://wingolog.org/