Re: guild hall update

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: guild hall update
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 22:31:32 +0200

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Another status update on the construction of the guild hall.
>
> Since my last update, I moved all of the commands down from under the
> "guild hall" namespace, so that it's now "guild update", "guild
> install", etc.  I also hacked a bit on the `guild' executable itself,
> allowing "guild help FOO" to work, and generally making `guild' more
> pleasant to use.
>
> Unlike dorodango,

[... changes elided ...].

> So those are the changes.  Now, the problems.  The biggest problem right
> now is that I don't know how it's supposed to work, by default.  Should
> I be able to "guild install foo" and then run guile, and import the
> (foo) module directly?  That's not how it currently works, because it
> installs to somewhere in ~/.local by default.  Should I be able to
> install to the configured --prefix ?  Should that be the default?  If we
> install to the --prefix, is it in a guild hall path or is it in Guile's
> site dir?  Should programs installed by the guild be in the default
> path?
>
> Also, many upstream dorodango R6RS packages still wouldn't work, because
> Guile doesn't do the .guile.sls / .sls thing by default.  I think Guile
> needs an --r6rs option that enables that and other R6RS options.

The way dorodango works (for programs) is that it installs a shell
script wrapper for the configured implementation, which sets up the
implementation-specific load-path and any options needed such as -x
.guile.sls -x .sls for Guile.  So for mere users, all they need to do is
place e.g. ~/.local/bin into $PATH.  I've tested that this works nicely
for Guile as well; in fact, I'm using a few small programs (and
dependent libraries) installed by dorodango, using Guile as
implementation, almost daily.

Scheme hackers OTOH are expected to modify their preferred
implementation's load-path appropriatly, and invoke their REPL of choice
with the correct incantation.  Of course, an --r6rs shorthand option for
Guile would help here.

> Sigil doesn't currently compile files that it installs.  It probably
> should.  It should probably recompile depending modules too, when
> updating a package.

Yeah, that's indeed a feature I'd really like to add to dorodango, but
I'm currently very short on personal hacking time.

Regards, Rotty
--
Andreas Rottmann -- <http://rotty.yi.org/>