Re: Accessing the environment's locale encoding settings

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Accessing the environment's locale encoding settings
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 18:41:47 +0100

Hi Bruno,

Bruno Haible <address@hidden> skribis:

> No, I'm suggesting to let the Scheme code know that is it using the user's
> locale.
>
> Yes, this is a backward-incompatible change, so probably you won't want to
> do it on the guile 2.0.x branch, and you will want to advertise it in the
> release notes or NEWS file.

I’m now convinced that an implicit setlocale(LC_ALL, "") is the right
thing for ‘master’.

For 2.0, though, this brings us back to the hack I proposed at the
beginning of this thread, namely trying to honor LC_CTYPE without
actually calling setlocale, so that command-line arguments are suitably
converted.

Could Gnulib’s get_charset_aliases be exported?

Thanks,
Ludo’.