Re: [Guile-commits] GNU Guile branch, wip-compiler, updated. v2.1.0-139-

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: [Guile-commits] GNU Guile branch, wip-compiler, updated. v2.1.0-139-gf8a333e
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2011 10:05:13 -0500

Hello,

Sorry it's been so long since my last reply. I've been somewhat busy
around the holidays, but I hope to work more soon.

> Also, what about “vset” or just “set” instead of “value-set”?

Yes, probably a good idea.

>> +              (set! (a-verify-exps ret)
>> +                    (map (lambda (x) (rec ret x env)) args))
>> +              ret))
>
> Please privilege a functional style, as much as possible (in some cases
> we lack the tools to do better, so that’s fine.)

I don't think there's a functional way to do this, although I could be
wrong. What I want to do is make a structure where the child tree
nodes are linked to their parents. I can't get the address of the
parent until after I allocate it, so I allocate it with an empty list
of children, then use its address to make the list of children that I
want.

Another approach would be to make the list of children before
allocating the parent, but then I would have to go back and fix up
their 'parent' pointers. So I think either way I'm stuck doing some
mutation.

>> +(pass-if "value-set-can-be-anything?"
>> +         (value-set-can-be-anything? anything))
>
> In Emacs you can (put 'pass-if 'scheme-indent-function 1) to get the
> “right” indentation.

Ah, thanks. Done.

Noah