Re: Guile: What's wrong with this?

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: Guile: What's wrong with this?
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 08:26:41 -0800

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the explanation.  However:

On 01/03/12 07:03, Mike Gran wrote:
It worked until I "upgraded" to openSuSE 12.1.

  $ guile --version
  guile (GNU Guile) 2.0.2

  (set! tmp-text (get "act-text"))
         (set! TMP-text (string-upcase tmp-text))

>>> ERROR: In procedure string-upcase:
ERROR: string is read-only: ""

There does seem to be some strangeness w.r.t. read-only
strings going on.

On Guile 1.8.8 if you create a string this way, it is
not read-only.

guile>  (define y "hello")
guile>  (string-set! y 0 #\x)
guile>  y
"xello"

On Guile 2.0.3, if you create a string the same way, it
is read-only for some reason.

scheme@(guile-user)>  (define y "hello")
scheme@(guile-user)>  (string-set! y 0 #\x)
ERROR: In procedure string-set!:
ERROR: string is read-only: "hello"

%string-dump can be used to confirm this

There are a couple of issues:

1.  "string-upcase" should only read the string
    (as opposed to "string-upcase!", which rewrites it).
2.  it is completely, utterly wrong to mutilate the
    Guile library into such a contortion that it
    interprets this:
        (define y "hello")
    to be a request to create an immutable string anyway.
    It very, very plainly says, "make 'y' and fill it with
    the string "hello".  Making it read only is crazy.

Furthermore, I do not even have an obvious way to deal
with the problem, short of a massive rewrite.
I define variables this way all over the place.
rewriting the code to
   (define y (string-append "hell" "o"))
everywhere is stupid, laborious, time consuming for me,
and time consuming at execution time.

Guile 2.0.1, 2.0.2 and 2.0.3 need some rethinking.  Dang!!!!!