Re: Guile: What's wrong with this?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guile: What's wrong with this?
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 00:33:38 +0100

Bruce,

Bruce Korb <address@hidden> skribis:

> On 01/03/12 14:24, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>>> 2.  it is completely, utterly wrong to mutilate the
>>>      Guile library into such a contortion that it
>>>      interprets this:
>>>          (define y "hello")
>>>      to be a request to create an immutable string anyway.
>>>      It very, very plainly says, "make 'y' and fill it with
>>>      the string "hello".  Making it read only is crazy.
>>
>> It stems from the fact that string literals are read-only, per R5RS
>> (info "(r5rs) Storage model"):
>>
>>    [[blah, blah, blah]]
>>
>> In Guile this has been the case since commit
>> 190d4b0d93599e5b58e773dc6375054c3a6e3dbf.
>>
>> The reason for this is that Guile’s compiler tries hard to avoid
>> duplicating constants in the output bytecode.  Thus, modifying a
>
> You have changed the interface without deprecation or any other multi-year
> process.

I could be just as offensive by suggesting that R5RS is 14 years old,
etc., but I’d rather work towards an acceptable solution with you.

Could you point me to the affected code?  What would you think of using
string-copy as I suggested?  The disadvantage is that you need to modify
your code, but hopefully that can be automated with a sed script or so;
the advantage is that it would work with all versions of Guile.

Thanks,
Ludo’.