Re: Guile: What's wrong with this?

From: Ian Price
Subject: Re: Guile: What's wrong with this?
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 12:19:07 +0000

Bruce Korb <address@hidden> writes:

> You have changed the interface without deprecation or any other multi-year
> process.
> Please change it back.  Please fix the problem by adding (define-strict y
> "hello")
> to have this new semantic.  Thank you.

Fixing it with define-strict is ridiculous, as y is still mutable, it is
the string "hello" which is not. As for mutable strings, I consider them
a mistake to begin with, but if people expect them to be be mutable, and
historically they are mutable (in guile), it is a mistake to change this
without prior warning.

--
Ian Price

"Programming is like pinball. The reward for doing it well is
the opportunity to do it again" - from "The Wizardy Compiled"