Re: Register-based VM GSOC project

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: Register-based VM GSOC project
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 09:26:36 -0400

Hello,

I'm not as familiar with the compiler code as some other people here,
but I think that would be great! Guile can always use more speed, and
that seems like a project that you could complete in a summer.

I've thought a bit about how to do it. One step might be to write a
register VM in Scheme that you can compile to, to make sure
compilation works, and then write it again in C. Another approach
would be to write it in C, but make it available as a Guile function,
so that at first you can have the register and stack VMs around at the
same time, and then when it's ready get rid of the stack VM. The goal
of both of those approaches is to let you do it piece by piece rather
than all at once.

I also thought a register VM would be cool, so I've actually started
working on a stack-space allocator, which I hope will turn into a
register allocator. If that's the part of the project you would most
enjoy working on, tell me now and I'll stop and do something else. :-)
But if not, I would be glad to work with you.

One question for you is, have you done similar things before? Do you
have your own ideas for how you'd implement a VM?

I'm glad you're interested,
Noah