Re: Do you recognize these modules?

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Do you recognize these modules?
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 10:04:03 +0200

() Noah Lavine <address@hidden>
() Wed, 2 May 2012 11:26:22 -0400

   Unfortunately, it looks like the changes for these do not have
   copyright assigned to the FSF, so we can't use them directly.
   Is that correct?

Partially (details below).

   Also, I hope this isn't a sensitive topic, but why is there a
   semi-friendly fork of Guile 1.4? Are there things that you want
   to accomplish that Guile 2.0 can't do? Or maybe you want
   complete compatibility with Guile 1.4 - even so, why fork?

It's not sensitive, but it's not a short answer, either...

[maudlin recollections snipped -- i will publish these separately.]

The short answer is that the fork (from 2001 or so) was a reaction
to losing repo write privs.  Now that i have regained them, i am
interested in merging back the relevant bits, w/ copyright notice
modified to the proper FSF standards.  Details up to you...

I see from another post you have decided to rewrite, due to my
delayed response.  Sorry about that.  I anticipate my ability to
keep up in the foreseeable future to be likewise limited, so if
you're still interested, please let me know what i must do to get
these bits in-tree and useful to you (and others) as a basis for
further maintenance (kind of a one-shot mass-transfer).

Thanks for taking care of 1.8, btw -- i am sure i'm not alone in
appreciating this work.