Re: bug#20272: Support reproducible builds

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: bug#20272: Support reproducible builds
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 20:14:48 +0100

Hi!

I have rebased Mark's patch to master and added a fix on top of that,
needed on 2.1 to pass make check.

Also, I found that to pass make check these patches depend on
(yesterday's) latest master commit

    Use atomics for async interrupts

that patch seems to depend on (at least git rebase-wise)

     Deprecate user asyncs
     Deprecate arbiters
     Fold 2.1.4 news into 2.2 news

Having these 6 patches on top op 2.1.4 has guile produce deterministic
.go files...mostly.

My client code is seems to be happy with this, however Guix tells me
that some files are still not deterministic:

    lib/guile/2.2/ccache/ice-9/peg/cache.go
    lib/guile/2.2/ccache/system/repl/coop-server.go
    lib/libguile-2.2.so.0.0.0

and in Guix's debug output (only after I removed this hoping to get
guile-next reproducible, guix informed me about the plain output
nondeterminism?)

    lib/guile/2.2/ccache/ice-9/peg/cache.go.debug
    lib/guile/2.2/ccache/web/server/http.go.debug

Any ideas on what's causing this remaining nondeterminism?  Would it be
a good idea to include these patches in Guix to give them some testing?

Greetings,
Jan.