Re: About seq in Tree-IL

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: About seq in Tree-IL
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 17:53:03 -0400

Hi,

Tommi Höynälänmaa <address@hidden> writes:
> I use Tree-IL as an intermediate language for my own programming
> language Theme-D and the generated Tree-IL files contain a huge nested
> seq expression. Could we allow multiple toplevel expressions in a
> Tree-IL file or have the Tree-IL begin expression back?

Tree-IL is designed to simplify code that analyzes it, which means
making it as simple as possible.  Every redundancy in its representation
requires corresponding redundant code in _every_ instance of pattern
matching done on it, and there are a great many such instances in
module/language/tree-il/*.scm.

We could only justify such a redundancy if there were a *very*
compelling benefit.  What is the benefit?

     Regards,
       Mark