Re: multi-lingual guile: language strictness

From: Brett Gilio
Subject: Re: multi-lingual guile: language strictness
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 21:57:13 -0500

Matt Wette writes:

Hi All,

I posed a question on #guile IRC last weekend asking for use cases for making
Guile
multi-lingual. The use case that came up was the desire to use Guile as an
extension
that supports multiple languages for users. To that end, I wonder how important
it is
to make these extension languages meet published language conventions or
standards.
I believe to do so is too difficult: the Guile community does not have the
volunteer
workforce people to achieve this. I think it would be more practical to look
for
reasonable approximations. If this is the direction to go, then should Guile
name
these extension languages according to what they attempt to mimic (e.g.,
javascript),
or rather rename to something that has a similar sounding name (e.g.,
guavascript), or,
as another option, rename with an extension monicker (e.g., javascriptx)?

Matt

Is this possibility for making Guile multi-lingual a promised feature, or more of a wishlist type thing? I'll have to think about some ways
that might be good to approach this, because the limiting
volunteer-community is definitely going to be an issue.

--
Brett M. Gilio
Free Software Foundation, Member