Re: FOSDEM 2019

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: FOSDEM 2019
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2019 22:03:15 +0100

Alex Sassmannshausen <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Amirouche
>
> Amirouche Boubekki writes:
>
>> Le mer. 6 févr. 2019 à 14:47, Alex Sassmannshausen <address@hidden> a écrit :
>>
>>  >  - Janneke mentioned the new guile build system in guix for simpler
>>  >    guile packages and I think that's pretty great.  Likewise there was
>>  >    some mention of some sort of you-don't-have-to-use-autotools build
>>  >    system and I don't remember what it's name was.  (BTW, I continue to
>>  >    believe that "Guix is and should be Guile's package mangager".)
>>
>>  I was unaware that we had a guile build system in Guix.
>>
>> What is it?
>
> I may be misunderstanding — so feel free to clarify!
>
> The build system in Guix would be a value that can be declared in the
> `build-system' field of package definitions.  It's basically what tells
> Guix what steps need to be performed to build and install an
> application.
>
> Guile libraries and applications currently need to use the GNU Build
> System, or the trivial build system, with some additional steps that
> need to be added by the packager.
>
> If we had a build system, we could simply stick the `guile-build-system'
> value in the `build-system' field.

This exists.  I use it for the picture language, for example.  Here’s
the Guix definition:

(define-public guile-picture-language
  (let ((commit "1531116036d1b5e0d2482ff2c8d77ad21f1d2bef")
        (revision "1"))
    (package
      (name "guile-picture-language")
      (version (git-version "0" revision commit))
      (source (origin
                (method git-fetch)
                (uri (git-reference
                      (url
"https://git.elephly.net/software/guile-picture-language.git";)
                      (commit commit)))
                (sha256
                 (base32
                  "04salmqf5x84vb3qkkxx47b64jyl290zsf3ik81l9hg6fwvvlmq3"))))
      (build-system guile-build-system)
      (inputs
       `(("guile" ,guile-2.2)))
      (home-page "https://git.elephly.net/software/guile-picture-language.git";)
      (synopsis "Picture language for Guile")
      (description
       "This package provides a simple SVG-based picture language for Guile.
The picture values can directly be displayed in Geiser.")
      (license license:lgpl3+))))

This takes care of compiling the files and placing them where they
should go.  The upstream picture language repository does not use
Autotools.

--
Ricardo