Re: help for novice

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: help for novice
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 09:43:48 +1100

enrico <address@hidden> writes:

> How should I learn the gtk programming with guile and scheme?

The guile-gtk manual doesn't teach gtk, we leave that to the gtk
manuals.  Generally, you read the gtk manual, then do the same thing
in scheme instead of C.

> For example, I don't know which parameters (type and number)
> gtk-widget-new function requires to create a GtkTextView area, and how
> to put it into a window widget.

The examples/simple.scm program shows how to use gtk-widget-new, with
keyword parameters.  The parameters are the object "Properties" from
the gtk reference manual.

But GtkTextView is quite complicated.  Some parts of it don't have
scheme wrappers yet.  There's enough to display some text -- I use a
textview in my program for instance.  I create it with something like

        (define textbuf (gtk-text-buffer-new #f))
        (define textview (gtk-text-view-new-with-buffer textbuf))

The examples/calendar.scm program is a very simple example of using
those "explicit" style widget creation functions.