guile-sources

guile-debugger-0.3 available

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: guile-debugger-0.3 available
Date: 19 Jan 2002 15:57:17 +0000

guile-debugger-0.3 is available at

http://www.ossau.uklinux.net/guile/guile-debugger-0.3.tar.gz

This really is a RERO release ("release early, release often") and
it's quite likely that its features are completely impenetrable
without further documentation.  However, anyone interested in
Guile/Emacs/debugging integration, and who is feeling brave, might
like to take a look and have a play, and I'd appreciate any thoughts
and feedback that result.

Thanks for Neil van Dyke for giguile.el, which inspired me to look at
this area again, and which I've extended as part of this release.

        Neil

Changes since version 0.2

* New features

** Emacs integration using giguile.el

Using an extended version of Neil W. van Dyke's giguile.el, I've
added the following Emacs integration features.

- When Guile hits a breakpoint and drops into the debugger, Emacs
tries to popup a window showing the corresponding source location.

- You can set a breakpoint at a specific source position by inserting
`##' into the source and sending it for evaluation to the inferior
Guile (usually using `C-M-x', `scheme-send-definition').

- When you send code to the inferior Guile process for evaluation,
Emacs determines and passes the current file's module, so that Guile
can evaluate the code in the correct module.

- When you send code to the inferior Guile process for evaluation,
Emacs passes information about the current filename, line and column
numbers, so that Guile can set the source properties of the evaluated
code are as if the code was evaluated by loading the file.

- Superfluous `guile> ' and `debug> ' prompts are removed from the
output shown in the *scheme* buffer.

* Changes to infrastructure modules

** Unexpected input handlers for command loops

New optional parameters for `run-command-loop' allow the caller to
pass in handler procedures for unknown commands and for bad
expressions - i.e. expressions that are not symbols.  (ossau debugger)
uses this new feature to treat non-debugger input in the same way as
the Guile REPL does, i.e. by evaluating it using `primitive-eval'.