guile-sources

Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals, Issue 52 Volu

From: Federation of International Trade Associations
Subject: Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals, Issue 52 Volume 3 Number 4
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 13:05:40 -0500 (EST)

To view this newsletter in full-color:
http://www.fita.org/useful/useful.html

Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals Issue 52 Volume 3
Number 4
February 12, 2003
Issue 52
VOLUME 3 Number 4

 IN THIS ISSUE
OUR FEATURED COUNTRY SITE -- REPUBLIC OF KOREA
LARGEST FREE PUBLIC RECORDS DATABASES
GOOGLE LANGUAGE TOOLS
TRANSPARENCY INTERNATIONAL

Here's your latest issue of Really Useful Sites for International Trade
Professionals.
This free bi-weekly newsletter reviews useful Web sites from the Web Resources
database
at FITA's International Trade/ Import-Export Portal at
http://xis.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?u=327937&i=38203 an excellent
source for trade leads, news, events, and a link library of 5,000+ sites
related to
international trade.

My name is John McDonnell, and for years I've been writing about useful Web
sites for
businesspeople, in various publications. Now I've focused on international
trade, using
my Web research skills to find sites that are useful for international
businesspeople,
and some sites that are just plain fun for anyone.

Here are the sites:

OUR FEATURED COUNTRY SITE -- REPUBLIC OF KOREA
http://www.adb.org/Korea/default.asp

Although there has been a lot of turmoil in North Korea lately, the economic
outlook in South Korea has remained good. South Korea is one of the ten largest
U.S. trading partners, and it has weathered many crises in the last 50 years,
so it's a safe bet the country will weather this most recent storm in its
region. If you'd like to research opportunities in this part of the world, go
to the Asian Development Bank's profile of the Republic of Korea
<http://www.adb.org/Korea/default.asp> (http://www.adb.org/Korea/default.asp).
This site is loaded with information, including economic statistics, news,
business contacts, lists of partnership opportunities, cofinancing projects,
and more reports than you can read in one visit.
There are many more links to South Korea at the FITA site. Go to
http://fita.org/webindex <http://fita.org/webindex/index.html>, click on
Regional Resources and Multi-Lateral Trading Areas in the left column, then
scroll down to Asia and click on South Korea in the drop-down box. Or simply
type "Korea" in the search box at http://www.fita.org <http://fita.org/>.

LARGEST FREE PUBLIC RECORDS DATABASES
http://www.searchsystems.net

Before the Internet, if you wanted to search public records you had to hike
over to the local government office and page through dusty ledger books till
you found what you wanted. All that's changed now. There are thousands of sites
on the Web where you can search public records databases with the click of a
mouse. There's a gateway to these sites at the Search Systems Largest Free
Public Records Databases <http://www.searchsystems.net> (
http://www.searchsystems.net/ ) page. This site has links to free public record
databases around the world. You'll find links to databases that provide
business information (corporations, limited liability companies, limited
partnerships, assumed business names), licensing (dentists, physicians, real
estate, therapists, etc.), criminal records, sex offenders, inmates/offenders,
unclaimed property, trade names/trademarks, and much more.

MEDJET ASSISTANCE: PEACE OF MIND WHEN TRAVELERS NEED IT MOST
http://www.fita.org/travel/medjetdescript.htm
<http://xis.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?u=327937&i=38215>

A medical doctor from West Virginia was on vacation with his wife in Rome
recently when they had an extreme medical emergency. As MEDJET Assistance
members, they made a collect call to the 24 hour hotline and received quick
assistance.

They wrote, "My wife and I wish to express our deep appreciation for your rapid
and professional response to our medical emergency in Rome. We were amazed at
how you took care of the most minute detail and made it possible for us to
return to medical care in the States as quickly as possible. When we tell
people about our experience and how expertly you handled our return to the
United States they cannot believe that this could be done so expertly and
efficiently."
MEDJET Assistance is an annual membership program for U.S-based travelers
providing air medical transportation to its members should they become
hospitalized due to accident or illness virtually anywhere in the world. The
program transports members, free of charge, to the hospital of their choice,
most often in medically equipped and staffed jets. Click on
www.fita.org/travel/medjetdescript.htm
<http://xis.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?u=327937&i=38215> to become a MEDJET Assistance
member now at reduced FITA rates.
MEDJET Assistance publishes a free brochure, "A Guide To Traveling Smart".
Contact MEDJET Assistance directly at (800) 963-3538 to order it. Make sure to
mention FITA to get the FITA discount if you enroll.

GOOGLE LANGUAGE TOOLS
http://www.google.com/language_tools

Even though I studied French in high school, my language skills are limited. I
butt up against this every day on the Web, when I see interesting sites that I
can't read, because they're written in languages that are foreign to me. Now
there's at least a partial solution, in Google Language Tools
<http://www.google.com/language_tools> ( http://www.google.com/language_tools
). At this site you can search for Web sites by language and country, and when
you find a site that looks interesting, you can click on "Translate this page"
in the search results. The translations are not perfect, but they're good
enough to give you a working knowledge of the page, and that might be enough if
you're looking for sales leads or new markets for your products.

TRANSPARENCY INTERNATIONAL
http://www.transparency.org

Political corruption is a stumbling block to success in international business,
and one thing I'd want to know before establishing trade ties in a country is
the state of corruption there. You can find that out at Transparency
International <http://www.transparency.org> ( http://www.transparency.org ).
Transparency International is a nonprofit organization that monitors corruption
worldwide, and this site has plenty of useful information for businesspeople.
There are country papers on corruption, a Bribe Payers Index, a Global
Corruption Report, news, a Corruption Perceptions Index, and much more. You'll
get the inside dirt on corruption here.

If you'd like to search back issues of Really Useful Sites for International
Trade Professionals, there's a search page at
http://fita.org/useful/search.html
<http://xis.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?u=327937&i=38213>.

If you'd like to see all back issues of Really Useful Sites for International
Trade Professionals, the full list is at http://www.fita.org/useful/archives
<http://xis.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?u=327937&i=38214>.

Please feel free to pass this newsletter on to others.

Published by Federation of International Trade Associations
Copyright © 2003 Federation of International Trade Associations. All rights
reserved.

 <http://xis.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?u=327937&i=38207>

TELL A FRIEND -- http://fita.m.xtenit.com/friend.jsp?uid=327937&appid=240&j=4786

--------
Modify your preferences or unsubscribe here:

http://fita.m.xtenit.com/al.jsp?vk=fnk4tuVQ&address@hidden&an=240