Re: mutating C binding arguments?

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: mutating C binding arguments?
Date: 22 Jan 2001 00:50:35 -0600

Michael Livshin <address@hidden> writes:

> global_values_proc = scm_permanent_object(gh_lookup("values"));

Is there any substantive difference here between that and this:

  global_values_proc = gh_lookup("values");
  scm_protect_object(global_values_proc);

Also, another more localized alternative might be to use a static in
the function where "values" is needed, though that could cause
threading problems if the app is using multiple threads...

> doesn't _really_ matter in this case (since `values' sits in the root
> module and isn't likely to go away) but better style anyway.

And if "values" is something that could be redefined, and if the user
would expect that redefinition to take effect everywhere, then I guess
looking it up at every call would be the only alternative.  (Figured
maybe I should point that out for the person asking the original
question).