Re: Newbie seeks guiding hands.

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: Newbie seeks guiding hands.
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:09:36 +0100

> From: Gary Benson <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 11:41:53 +0000 (GMT)
>
> Can you control which stream they are printed on? Having them appear on
> stderr would be bad news...

They are only printed out if you don't install an exception handler.
You can catch the exception, extract information from the exception
and print it yourself.

> > > One further question I thought of: how does Guile handle
> > > internationalisation? Specifically of messages displayed by the Scheme
> > > part of rcalc. This may be a question that could be handled by poking
> > > aroung in Gnucash (since rcalc is a GNOME program as well), but if
> > > anyone has any `high-level' knowledge then that would be welcome.
> >
> > Currently, Guile does not bother with i18n at all.  There were
> > discussions and plans about supporting multibyte strings internally a
> > while ago, but I think so far there was no consensus about how to
> > handle things like that.  Error messages are not localized at all.
>
> Hmmm. That is a shame. Is it possible to catch the messages before they
> are printed? Some kind of exception handling would be my favourite way,
> like the try{}catch{} blocks of C++ and Java.

That's exactly the way it works in Guile.  Errors are signalled by
throwing exceptions, and these exceptions can be caught, either on the
C or on the Scheme level.  Unfortunately, this is not documented well
in the Reference Manual yet.

Regards,
  'martin