Re: Is my procedure getting GCed?

From: Michael Livshin
Subject: Re: Is my procedure getting GCed?
Date: 08 May 2001 00:13:48 +0300

hi Dirk!

Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:

> On 1 May 2001, Michael Livshin wrote:
>
> > perhaps what is needed is a simple interface to add/remove GC root
> > locations, a-la Boehm.
> >
> > so you would say `scm_gc_add_root (&fProc)' and not worry about it.
> >
> > comments?
>
> [snip]
>
> I don't know about how this works with shared libraries, though:  What
> happens if you unlink a shared lib, but still have pointers into global
> variables belonging to that lib?

your program might crash and burn, I suppose.

OTOH, shared libs should have some closing hooks, which should be used
to unregister such locations, among other cleanups.

[
 looks like a rather esoteric problem to me, actually.  or is it not?
]

--
There is no such thing as a "great rock critic" any more than there are
"great parasites".            -- Mike Dickson, in rec.music.progressive