Re: Garbage Collection questions

From: Sam Tregar
Subject: Re: Garbage Collection questions
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 10:51:11 -0400 (EDT)

On 14 May 2001, Michael Livshin wrote:

> well, in the Guile Reference Manual there is a section called
> "Extending Applications Using Guile".  it should have a whole chapter
> on GC, but doesn't yet.
>
> do you feel the relevant comments in gc.c are OK as documentation?

I think they're much better than nothing.  Let me give it a try and I'll
post the results to guile-devel.  If nothing else it may spur more
informed people to write some real docs!

> a sufficiently sufficiently intelligent compiler could have a
> non-contiguous stack and encrypt its contents, too.  we have to make
> _some_ reasonable assumptions. ;)

It's interesting you say that.  Perl goes the opposite way - it manages
it's own stack explicitely and totally ignores the C stack.  The general
consensus in the Perl dev community is that the C stack isn't something
you can count on being able to manipulate.  I'd more or less taken that as
gospel - it's interesting to see the alternate approach working.

-sam