Re: Questions about floating numbers, rethink and bug report

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Questions about floating numbers, rethink and bug report
Date: 16 Oct 2001 19:34:30 +0100

    Dirk> Virtualizing, BTW, is an implementation technique - in some
    Dirk> sense.  The term comes (at least that's what I assume) from
    Dirk> the concept of virtual functions in C++.  [...]
    >>  I've not thought deeply about the vector-specific case, but my
    >> immediate reactions to your suggestion about virtualizing
    >> vectors are that
    >>
    >> - yes, virtualization is a good idea in general
    >>
    >> - we already have a general virtualization mechanism -- GOOPS
    >> -- and so should use that rather than inventing an additional
    >> mechanism.

    Dirk> OK, then how would you replace SCM_VECTORP and friends?  How
    Dirk> does your virtual function lookup mechanism look when using
    Dirk> goops?  I'm curious, because I currently don't see how
    Dirk> low-level types can be virtualized using goops without a
    Dirk> noticeable performance drawback.  Could you give a code
    Dirk> example for how you would do it, please?

I'll have a go, and aim to let you know the results by end Friday.

It may well be that you are right, and that it is impossible to use
GOOPS without losing a lot of performance, but I'd like to be sure
that we've checked the possibilities first.

Had you already considered and rejected using GOOPS before I mentioned
it?

        Neil