Re: overflowed by spam

From: Lynn Winebarger
Subject: Re: overflowed by spam
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 19:22:12 -0500

On Sunday 03 March 2002 17:03, Neil Jerram wrote:

>     Lynn> I know this is a general GNU mailing list problem, but is there
no way
>     Lynn> to filter out some of the spam?  I was looking at the bug-guile
and
>     Lynn> guile-sources archives and the signal-to-noise ratio is very
low.

> Good question.  I've noticed that many list archives transform
> addresses so that they read like `john AT bigco DOT com' and
> `guile-user AT gnu DOT org'.  Does this help?

     Too late for that.  It looks like the spammers have the list addresses
already.   I was talking about a filtering system (like CMU's Sieve, for
example) to make some of the spam go away.  Considering how long the
various gnu mailing lists have been on spamming lists,  I'm surprised the
mailing list admin hasn't done this already, but for all I know there's an
official policy against filtering.

Lynn