Re: Problems making & installing Guile 1.4

From: Byron Hale
Subject: Re: Problems making & installing Guile 1.4
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 15:11:17 -0700

At 05:40 PM 4/17/2002 +0200, you wrote:
The usual thing to do is to have /usr/local/bin *before* /usr/bin
in your $PATH (you set that in your $HOME/.bash_profile; for a
global setting, i.e. for all users, you'd edit /etc/profile).

This way, things you install under /usr/local take precedence
over things pre-installed in /usr, which is usually what you
want. Your mileage might vary, of course.

For root it's different. There, security considerations are
more important than ease of use.

Actually, my own, non-root, account has the ordering that you mentioned.
I'm afraid to tinker with root's path ordering, so I'm leaving it as is.

Apparently I installed Guile 1.3 in January or February as a general good
idea and renaming 1.3 hasn't hurt me so far. Using Guile as a shell,
given that it will be made more consistent and not so dependent on
whitespace placement, etc.,  seems an excellent idea to me.

I studied SICP using Scheme and miss its continuations in SML97 and
Haskell98. I'll be following this list with interest now.

> At any rate, Guile 1.4 is up and running. Thanks!
Good news, then!
Regards
-- tomas

Byron