Re: language translator help

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: language translator help
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 09:44:43 -0500

On 27-Apr-2002, Thomas Bushnell, BSG <address@hidden> wrote:

| "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> writes:
|
| > So, if there are significant bits of the run-time library that will
| > be written in C/C++/Fortran, does it make a big difference if some
| > of the parser is also written in C/C++?
|
| Python also has an extensive library.  I think the best way to deal is
| to make the features of that library available to Guile: as ordinary
| Guile extensions.  Then write wrappers for them.

Sure.  But this doesn't really answer my question.  If the wrapper for
the library and the library itself are written in C, then that is
something that must be compiled before it can be used with Guile, and
may need to be ported if it contains platform-dependent bits.  So if
you already have that dependency on compiled C code, why is it
important that the parser/translator be written in Scheme instead of
C?

jwe