Re: The Guile license and the use of LGPL libs (like GMP).

From: Robert Uhl <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: The Guile license and the use of LGPL libs (like GMP).
Date: 16 May 2002 17:38:47 -0600

"Jeff Read" <address@hidden> writes:

> I once heard a statistic that said the Gnucash project, for
> instance, has some 60 lib dependencies.

It is pretty nasty, but I believe a major reason is that it uses later
versions of various libraries than are common, _and_ that said
libraries are under heavy development, and thus the APIs change.
Hence it requires a slew of downloads to work.

OTOH, programming against the older libraries would be hell.  That's
why I use guile 1.4 for travtrack.  The unfortunate side effect is
that this means that it will not compile for most folks.

> Ideally, as you said, we'd provide an option to allow the user to
> opt out of GMP usage, hopefully with no loss in functionality.

Well, they'd have to lose some functionality--or else what's the point
of GMP in the first place?

--
Robert Uhl <address@hidden>
Christ is Risen!  Truly He is Risen!