Re: language translator help

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: language translator help
Date: 22 May 2002 22:50:51 +0200

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

>    From: Marius Vollmer <address@hidden>
>    Date: 22 May 2002 14:37:20 +0200
>
>    The way I see it, you will have to convince me if you want to continue
>    working on the GNU hosted Guile project.  Either that, or vote me out
>    of office.
>
> ah, veiled threats again.

There is nothing veiled about it, I hope.  From my point of view, you
are behaving in a dangerous way, dangerous to the Guile project.  I'm
not categorically saying that you are wrong, but you are side-stepping
the maintainer too bluntly.

The points you raise are quite important and I _do_ need to get better
at documenting what's in me head.  The dynamic linking issue is not in
its final state.  The bug-fixing 1.4.1 release was right on.  We are
enormously slow in releasing 1.6.  It is good to talk about this and
(by pointing out weaknesses) to encourage people to do better.

While you may be good at identifying problems, you are bad at actually
encouraging people to do better.  What you do looks to me mostly like
standing on the side, accusing people of 'obvious' stupidities and
pumping out philosophical dribble when asked to provide concreteness.

This is not a good way to encourage volunteers.

I can't seem to cut thru to the meat of most of your comments.  I
don't think I ignore users like you say.  I don't think you have a
better grasp of good design than I do.  That can very well be a
problem of mine, and not of yours.  If your message would be really
serious I would expect you to try to present it so that I can
understand it better.  Others would surely see the denseness of mine
and support you.  This does not seem to happen, or maybe I'm blind to
that as well.

The gist is that we two don't seem to communicate effectively, and
don't trust each other.  That is bad and hopefully we can _both_ get
over it.  I have to rely on the judgment of others who is right in our
little dispute.  So, if anyone is listening, please enlighten me.

> no one wants to remove you, mvo, just cure your sickness.

Your medicine does not seem to do me any good, thi.

Please believe me, my main interest is not to stay maintainer of
Guile.  But at the moment, I have that position and I really believe
that in the best interests of the Guile project I can't allow it
that you play your own game.  You can't just decide that you continue
with a 1.4.x series and implement all your favorite things in it
without consensus from the rest of the developers.

At least, that is how I interpret your plan.  You did nothing to
convince otherwise as of yet.

But note also that "your favorite things" might actually be good and
valuable stuff for Guile.  I'm not saying that they are not.

What I would like you to do, is to convince me that you are a
constructive member of our little community, rather than a destructive
one.  For that, please agree not to work on a 1.4.x release series
without my approval (which I will give based on user and developer
feedback), and to subscribe to guile-devel until we have agreed that
guile-devel is counterproductive and should be closed completely.

Please address these two points directly and so that I can understand
whether you will obey or not.

You see, I'm still open to run along with you, thi, when the community
wants me to, but please don't run away on your own and leave everyone
wondering where that little gremlin is heading.

You might think that I act way beyond my competencies here, and that
I'm abusing that little extra power that I have.  That might be the
case, but we two are not the ones to decide this.

> thi

Gesundheit!