Re: C++ application linked with guile dos not quite

From: Brett Viren
Subject: Re: C++ application linked with guile dos not quite
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:43:36 -0400

CDDP 40 - TICE writes:
 > When guile is embedded in a C++ aplication, is there any garbage
 > collection to take care of ?

Nothing specific about C++, however, if you store a returned SCM value
that is not referenced by Guile, you should call scm_protect_object()
on it.  I do this for example in a strip chart that plots a guile
procedure.  I need to call scm_protect_object() when the SCM
containing the proc. is created and then scm_unprotect_object() when
my chart object dies.  I happen to store this SCM object in two places
in C++, both need "protection".

Maybe if you are calling scm_protect_object() but failing to call
scm_unprotect_object() then the garbage collector is waiting for the
reference count to go to zero?  (I'm no expert, so take this with a
grain of salt).

-Brett.