Re: defining new character names?

From: Matthias Koeppe
Subject: Re: defining new character names?
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 11:20:28 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> I have to admit that i toyed with the idea of extending guiles
> scm_charnames[] array in chars.c myself. My idea was to extend the
> table to use the names also used for ISO 8879 character entities
> (mostly known from their use in HTML pages). Since such entities are
> specific to an encoding it would make sense to make the table extensible
> (i guess this would need to be done by extending the read-options inter-
> face).

I think that it is a bad idea to make Guile's characters
encoding-specific.  This is not the right way to internationalize
Guile.

Instead, we should change Guile's characters to Unicode.  Then, of
course, it makes sense to allow Unicode character names (and ISO 8879
character entities) for #\ syntax.

The encoding of characters should only be an issue for input/output
and interaction with C libraries.

Is anyone working on Unicode support for Guile?

Regards,

--
Matthias Köppe -- http://www.math.uni-magdeburg.de/~mkoeppe