Re: guile & automake

From: Robert Uhl <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: guile & automake
Date: 01 Sep 2002 12:40:38 -0600

Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:

> Though it is *very much appreciated* when packages are written so
> that "make PREFIX=`pwd`/debian/tmp` install" works.  You don't need
> to be able to run the package from the non --prefix dir, but being
> able to install it somewhere else temporarily makes life *much*
> easier on packagers like Debian (and I'd assume RedHat).

Oh yeah.  We use stow at work, and essentially the compile/install
process is:

./configure && make && sudo make install prefix=/usr/local/stow/$package
cd /usr/local/stow
sudo stow $package

But there are some packages out there which don't play well with
this.  Dashed annoying, let me tell you.

--
Robert Uhl <address@hidden>
He was opposed to the use of force.  Force, he believed, was the last