Re: 1.6.0 problems with libguilereadline-v-12 and fix

From: Paul Jarc
Subject: Re: 1.6.0 problems with libguilereadline-v-12 and fix
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 17:53:07 -0400

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> wrote:
> Greg Troxel <address@hidden> writes:
>> This seems broken in two ways:
>>
>>   guile should look for its own libraries in exactly one place, the
>>   location where it was installed.
>>
>>   guile should certainly look in $(prefix)/lib
>
> I don't agree.  While your suggestions would make it work, they would
> do so with non-standard means.

Are there standard means to do the same thing?  I have the same
problem.

> The right thing is to configure your system so that the installed
> libraries are visible to all programs, in the standard way.

I disagree about the word "right".  It's the traditional thing, and
apparently the expected thing, but it would be nice if it weren't the
only thing.

> Your suggestions work against the usual means of managing shared
> libraries, not with them.  I think we should work with them, even if
> they are slightly broken.

I think we should fix them.

But how about this: when linking one of Guile's own libraries,
temoporarily prepend (assq-ref %guile-build-info 'libdir) to
LD_LIBRARY_PATH or LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH, whichever is searched first.
Would that satisfy everyone?

> Instead, you should configure the whole system to look into the right
> places.

On my system, each installation of each version of each package gets
its own unique installation prefix.  I configure each package to find
the libraries it needs at compile time; LD_LIBRARY_PATH would be
awfully big if I didn't.  But many packages don't need to be told
specifically to check PREFIX/lib; they look there automatically.  Most
of the others can be told to look there by adding
-Wl,-rpath,PREFIX/lib to LDFLAGS, which is easy enough for me.  But
even that doesn't work for Guile.

paul