Re: 1.6.0 problems with libguilereadline-v-12 and fix

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: 1.6.0 problems with libguilereadline-v-12 and fix
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:07:55 -0500

Arno Peters <address@hidden> writes:

> I have two versions of Guile installed: 1.4 in /usr and 1.7 in
> /usr/local.  If I leave LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH undefined, version 1.4 works
> flawlessly with libreadline but version 1.7 crashes hard.  If I define
> LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib version 1.7 works flawlessly with
> libreadline but version 1.4 crashes hard.
>
> In either case, one guile does not work.  This is unacceptable for me.

Do we know why it crashes?  I don't have a 1.7 install available right
this minute, but I'm guessing it's a bug.  Does it happen with 1.6.0?

There are still some build/versioning changes I need to migrate to 1.7
from the 1.6 tree, and that might be the problem.  In theory, 1.6 and
1.7 should be putting the major version number in the lib names and so
shouldn't have any conflicts with each other or older guile versions.
Of course from now on, we should only be changing the major numbers
when appropriate or we lose the ability to install a bugfixed library
without having to recompile all the apps that depend on it.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu