guile-gtk usage question

From: tomas
Subject: guile-gtk usage question
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 13:53:38 +0200

Hi,

I've downloaded guile-gtk (thanks, Marius!) and am playing a bit
with it. My first try is to make a binding for the gtk-canvas
widget (which is a backport of the gnome-canvas widget, find it
at

  <http://www.atai.org/gtk-canvas/gtk-canvas-0.1.tar.gz>

In this process I stumbled on one thing: gtk_canvas_item_new
takes a variable list of arguments, so it needs a custom glue
function. There are two models in guile-gtk I can steal from.
One is gtk-object-new()  and friends ant the other
gtk-object-query-args(), the main difference being that the
second has an entry in gtk-1.2.defs.

Now to my questions:

(1) Am I right in assuming that gtk-object-query-args() is
    ``the way to go'' (that is: the more `modern' model?)

(2) To convert a keyword-values list into a GtkArgs I'd use
     args = sgtk_build_args(info, &n_args, scm_args, scm_obj, "foo");
     Now, in the examples this scm_obj is the object being
     created (and is used for some `protection business', I guess
     somehow related with the garbage collector). That means
     that I have to
     - first create the object
     - then set its arguments
     instead of simply creating it with args. Is that how it
     should be done?

Thanks for any input, I'll put up my first results for review
around next weekend.

Regards
-- tomas